Friday, May 23, 2008

Beef on bun or short ends?

Getting swept by the BoSox in a four game series sucks. What doesn't suck is getting a special delivery of Gates' ribs from Kansas City. We can't fathom why anyone would EVER eat non-Kansas City BBQ made by white people. It just boggles the mind. Well, this next four-game series in Toronto is huge. The Royals could finally dig themselves that annual hole that's too big to climb out of. Or they could take 3-of-4from the Blue Jays and still feel pretty good about things.

Brian Bannister better do a lot of thinking between now and his next start. Or maybe he should try to stop thinking so much.

Has Mark Teahen now held down every position on the field where offense is supposed to be important?

Jose Guillen is starting to look like he really is worth that $36 million.

How bad would the Royals run production be if DM wouldn't have signed Guillen and Olivo last off-season?

We never thought we would be more worried about Billy Butler's bat than his glove.

What do you usually order when you go to Gates? Do you actually prefer another KC BBQ place? We've heard lots of talk about some of the other places, and we've been to most of them, but we still like Gates. And Oklahoma Joes.

P.S. Even though the Royals have been playing bad this week, our vacation has been good for the soul. Yesterday, we grilled brats at noon, drank beer, and taught some of the neighborhood women how to throw a curve ball.

P.P.S. Now it's back to the ribs.

5 comments:

Dan Holden said...

I currently live in St. Louis where something called pork steaks cooked on a grill is considered BBQ. We have discovered only one restaurant that is decent, Smokin' Al's. It is actually owned by the same family that runs the best Mexican restaurant, Pueblo Solis. Hell, I'll drive to Memphis and eat at Rendezvous before I eat at Bandana's, the second best choice in The Lou.

So whenever I am in K.C. it is Gates by far. My wife and I had our rehearsal dinner catered by them.

Oklahoma Joe's is pretty good.

I have been to Arthur Bryant's a couple of times. It kicks butt against anything outside of K.C.

Jack's Stack down by Union Station too costly and too uppity. I remember liking Smoke Stack in Martin City when I was a kid, but I haven't been there in years.

There is also some place at the "airport" in Odessa that was pretty good. I have only been there once and I can't remember the name.

One of the coolest things about The K is that I can get Gates. At Busch the only smoke, other than what comes off of Pujols bat, eminates from on obnoxious Hardees a few sections over from Big Mac Land.

Local cuisine is not represented well at Busch. North Star frozen treats will occassionally have some guy dressed up a a penguin handing out free red popsicles, but I'm not even sure if they have Ted Drewes. Of course I can't afford to sit anywhere but the cheapest upper-level outfield seats.

RoyalPrick said...

Dan Holden: I am from Odessa, but I think you were referring to Bates City BBQ. Which is in Bates City, a few miles down the road from Odessa.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "airport". I think that was a joke, which I don't get.

WSPA said...

I don't like Jack Stack either. If you want KC BBQ, you either have to get it at a place where they say May I Hep You or it has to come from the inside of a gas station.

Dan Holden said...

My Bad.

The airport in question is most likely the Miami County airport near Paola. I had some problems locating the restaurant, but I think it is called Smokers Wild.

My apologies to all citizens of Kansas with the exception of those that live in Johnson County or Lawrence, went to KU, or supported the study of intelligent design.

Anonymous said...

Check out LC's off Blue Ridge BLVD. Very good.

http://www.lcsbar-b-que.nv.switchboard.com/