Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mizzou to the Big 10 would be sort of like KC to the National League could have been

First and foremost, as an old Big 8 guy, I am worried about the Big 12. I have followed Kansas State sports my whole life. Then I graduated from Mizzou.

As a Mizzou guy, I think it would be fantastic if the Tigers went to the Big 10 + 2. But I think it would be devastating for the Big 12 if that happens.

Mizzou would fit in great in the Big 10. Columbia is more similar to Madison or Ann Arbor or Iowa City than it is to Manhattan or Stillwater or Ames. And the MU student body is Big 10esque.

I guess Nebraska would be the next-best fit. But Mizzou can deliver the KC AND STL markets.

What's left would be sad. Colorado would probably bolt to the PAC 10. That would leave the Big 8 refugees and a bunch of geographically dominant Texas schools.

I would be sad about what that would mean for K-State. But the reality of Mizzou matching up with Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, etc., would be awesome.

P.S. I love this KSU basketball team. They absolutely beat the shit out of UNLV the other night. And they have the angriest fan base in the nation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big 12 will pick up TCU or SMU to fill MU's spot. Would be sad if Mizzou leaves the Big 12, but it will not be devastated.

WSPA said...

The Big 10 could add Mizzou, Kansas and Nebraska, plus Syracuse and Pittsburgh (assuming Notre Dame still won't join) and create a super conference with east-west divisions.